Saturday 14 June 2008

Not always pretty in pink

The laugh of yesterday came as I drove into the Clyde Tunnel when I spied in the opposite side a pink haired girl in a pink open topped beetle car sitting with a red face as the man tried to get his tow-truck attached to her car. A picture would have told the thousand word tale rather well. At least she knew the daftness of it all as we shared a grin.
The other girl in pink I met this week, I don't know if she'll ever catch up with her daftness. She was babysitting me as I worked on the front door of her sisters house (floor 5 of 15) with two cats in it; one gregarious the other wouldn't say boo to a mouse. So she came up to me while I was unloading after collecting a certain bit of something at ground level telling me that one of the cats had got away, it would have been tricky for the adventurous one to get through multiple doors in a quiet building but it was the timid ginger one (Sebastion, who it turned out is actually a girl). She refused my reality check! (forget empathising first) She had already checked every one of the 15 floors and asked all the workmen at ground level. I think it was the big saucers of indoor sunglasses that had tipped me off, or was it the pink jogging trouser getup? She was in hysterics and fear at what her sister would say. This went on for ages with the implication it was my fault for working on her front door. She wanted her sister to come home to look for it and the boyfriend couldn't be contacted, so Mum got all the hysterics. It was all over when we looked under a nest of tables, Sebastion sitting scared as ever, probably hadn't moved an inch all morning.
Now it was the way she resolved never to get in this predicament again that impressed me the most. Not something like 'I will not panic so quickly again' or 'Cats can hide' or 'I will be a little teeny weeny more thoughtful about reality' - no - she was never going to help her sister again.
The power of pink? I have a wee rule of thumb, men who wear pink shirts are without exception to be treated with great caution. In my grumpy old state this is a rule that I have tried to find the exception to but have given up trying.
So yes indeed the power of wearing a certain colour can be quite overpowering for some people. Its not the clothes that make the man or woman, its their colour.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree about men who wear pink. At least over here, men who wear pink also tend to have frighteningly dark tans and douse themselves in bad cologne.